2008 Bengaluru blasts: SC dismisses accused PDP leader plea to allow travel

Appearing for him, Advocate Prashant Bhushan said Maudany had lost vision in one eye, and had been advised Ayurveda treatment in his hometown.

The Supreme Court on Friday dismissed Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) leader and 2008 Bengaluru serial blasts case accused Abdul Nazir Maudany’s plea to relax the bail conditions imposed by it in 2014.

A bench of Justices S Abdul Nazeer and Krishna Murari rejected his prayer to relax the condition that he should not leave Bengaluru and be allowed to travel to his home state Kerala till the pendency of the trial.

Appearing for him, Advocate Prashant Bhushan said that the former cleric-turned-politician was not in good health, had lost vision in one eye, and had been advised Ayurveda treatment in his hometown and that his father had suffered a stroke and is paralysed.

Bhushan pointed out that at the time of the SC granting him bail in 2014, the state had said that the trial will finish in four months, but it is still moving “at a snail’s pace” even after seven years.

The only evidence that investigating agencies have been able to hold against Maudany is that he attended a meeting in which the alleged conspiracy for the blasts was hatched, Bhushan said, adding that the recording of prosecution evidence is complete and his presence was not required for the trial at the moment.

Opposing the plea, Advocate Nikhil Goel appearing for Karnataka, said while Bhushan said that the prosecution has finished filing evidence, he had failed to mention that Maudany has filed an application to recall 44 prosecution witnesses from Kerala.

He pointed out that there are nine cases and the work load is “humongous” with there being hundreds of witnesses.

Source: Read Full Article